The goal of the Genetic Epidemiology group within Research and Early Development is to translate human genetic discoveries into testable therapeutic hypotheses. We leverage large-scale genetic, genomic and clinical datasets to support target discovery and validation for Biogen’s drug discovery research teams and clinical programs.
We seek a highly motivated postdoc to lead design and analysis of large genomic datasets to identify & validate drug targets for neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, schizophrenia and ALS. Datasets will include UK Biobank exomes, FinnGen,and other public and proprietary resources.
• Identify and characterize loci associated with neurological disease prognosis & progression; disease-relevant biomarkers; imaging and other endophenotypes
• Assess the utility of polygenic risk scores for patient stratification in clinical trials
• Use Mendelian randomization & colocalization approaches to evaluate potential therapeutic effects and safety of proposed targets
The postdoc will be expected to share results at scientific conferences and in journal publications.
The candidates will join an experienced team of statistical geneticists and have opportunities to closely collaborate with the broader Biogen R&D community. They will be mentored by Drs. Jimmy Liu, Chia-Yen Chen and Heiko Runz.
Strong background and knowledge of quantitative/statistical genetics theory & applications
• Hands-on experience in the QC, analysis and interpretation of large complex disease genetic datasets, ideally both GWAS and whole exome/genome sequencing studies
• Experience with data science tools and frameworks (we use Python, R, Apache Spark and SQL) in high performance computing/cloud environments
• Outstanding teamwork, communication and writing skills
• Experience working with population-scale datasets such as UK Biobank
• A strong publication record with experience leading large complex disease genetics studies
• Experience with neurodegenerative/neuropsychiatric diseases and an interest in the role of human genetics in drug development
PhD in statistical genetics, genetic epidemiology, genomics, human genetics, statistics, computer science, bioinformatics or related field with 0-3 years of postdoc training.
Internal Number: 38401BR
About Biogen, Inc.
Biogen seeks to discover transformative medicines for patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) by leveraging new understanding of human disease biology, genetics, and cutting-edge technologies allowing deeper analysis of pathogenic mechanisms. Pushing back the frontier of neurological disease therapeutics lies at the center of Biogen’s mission.