The Borough of Pottstown is excited to announce a full time career opportunity for a Civil Project Engineer. This project management design and inspection position works closely with the Public Works Director in planning, organizing, managing, and coordinating water and sewer distribution projects. A Civil Engineering degree is required, along with proficiency in MS Office, AutoCADD and Arcview GIS. A wastewater background with hands on experience in the plumbing trade is a plus, along with experience with construction inspection of utility projects, and being well versed in best storm water management practices. Responsibilities include project management and cost analysis for water and sewer capital projects, including strategic planning for inflow and infiltration reduction projects and preventative maintenance using asset management tools. NPDES and MS4 permit oversight and mapping and cataloging of collection and distribution systems are also key in this position. Communications with the public and utility partners is frequent, providing updates, notifications, and strategic initiative information.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
1. Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, tools and practices used in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains and appurtenances, wastewater collection systems and streets maintenance.
2. Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and the necessary safety precautions.
3. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software, Adobe Acrobat and GIS functions and applications.
4. Proficient in the use of AutoCAD and ArcViewGIS.
5. Proficient in best storm water management practices.
6. Knowledge of the general physical layout, component structures and appurtenances of a large water distribution system and pumps.
7. Experience with SewerCAD and WaterGEMS or similar programs desired.
8. Knowledge of public budgeting and procurement principles and practices.
9. Ability to demonstrate effective, tactful interpersonal savvy; able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive matters.
10. Skills in the operation of related small machines, tools or the less complex types of power equipment and basic water systems testing and repair tools.
11. Effectively communication and outreach to the public and utility partners for updates notifications and strategic initiatives.
12. Establish and maintain effective working relations with associates, contractors, customers and citizens.
13. Build and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees by engaging in effective, regular and respectful communications.
14. Ability to fulfill job responsibilities in a fast-paced work environment in conformance with all applicable Borough procedures and policies.
15. Ability to comprehend job related qualitative and quantitative information.
16. Ability to effectively plan and organize work; complete assignments and projects within required deadlines.
17. Demonstrate professionalism and high-quality customer service to Borough residents and public.
18. Able to manage multiple tasks, emergencies, in fast-paced environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering is required.
2. PA Professional Engineer registration required.
3. Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in public works management, construction or a related field.
4. A minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible, supervisory experience in a public sector organization, and/or related experience is preferred.
5. Experience with construction inspection of utility projects, a wastewater background and hands on experience in the plumbing trades is a plus.
About Borough of Pottstown
The MISSION of the Borough of Pottstown is to provide responsive, innovative, and cost-effective services. We work together with an intense focus on a common goal, recognizing that we can achieve more by working together. The Public has placed trust in us to provide high quality services.
The Borough of Pottstown - "Opportunites to Create Exceptional Experiences"