SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe that extraordinary projects are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Detroit, Michigan office of SmithGroupJJR, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 is looking for a Senior Structural Engineer to join our team. Our practices offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices. We are seeking a talented individual who is committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Working with us, you will be responsible for:
- Performing structural analysis, design and documentation of more complex projects involving interdisciplinary project teams, under general supervision.
- Performing structural analysis for various types of structures including buildings, site structures, architectural features, etc. in various locations.
- Developing structural designs for structures of various materials that experience multiples loading conditions that could include extreme loading (high wind, heavy snow, high seismic, blast, progressive collapse, etc.)
- Creating and developing planning and design concepts for projects.
- Independently assessing design requirements.
- Revising, reviewing, and coordinating construction documents (drawings and specifications) to meet project requirements.
- Coordinating the work of CAD/Structural techs, interns and junior staff assigned to the project.
- Assisting with construction administration including site visits as required for observation, answering contractor questions, or representing the owner in reviewing completed work.
- Has knowledge of basic drawing details and has the ability to develop more complex details.
- Prepares presentation drawings and otherwise assists in presentations both internally and externally.
- Determining level of effort required for a given assignment and provides input on scheduling.
- Coordinating with an integrated multi-disciplinary team and consultants.
- Assisting with presenting structural design/technical solutions in client meetings.
- Participating in the mentoring and training of junior staff as directed.
- May assist in developing proposal materials.
- Participating in internal education and external local professional association events/educational sessions.
- Developing creative and innovative solutions.
An ideal candidate:
- Minimum of 15+ years of Structural engineering experience.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Architectural Engineering with a concentration in Structural Engineering or equivalent. Masters of Science Degree in Structural Engineering is preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE) required. Structural Engineer licensure (SE) preferred.
- Has a working knowledge of the design and construction process, project administration and administration procedures.
- Has a working knowledge of other disciplines concepts and the ability to understand and communicate with professionals of other disciplines.
- Demonstrates good communication and interpersonal skills with team members, consultants, and clients.
- Proficient in current design software (CAD, Revit, Structural Analysis Programs, etc.) as well as Microsoft Office.
- Develops creative solutions and has a desire to push innovation.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We also offer a flexible work schedule that provides employees with an additional 14 or 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking the link below. Be sure to fill in the required information, and submit your cover letter and resume as attachments. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.