Position Open: April 20, 2017
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen, Inc.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Vacation/Sick leave, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Senior Structural Engineer PE who will be assigned to our Waterfront division in our Virginia Beach, VA office with significant experience in marine structure engineering, design, and inspection. This position will be responsible for performing and directing structural engineering duties on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope, including but not limited to foundation and superstructure selection, analysis, design, and coordination.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing structural engineering duties as a Senior Structural Engineer including analysis and design involving the four major structural materials (concrete, structural steel, timber, and masonry), supervising and directing the work of structural engineers and EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, coordination with other design disciplines, managing the production of contract documents, and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Managing the structural portion of multi-discipline projects and working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the structural design within multi-discipline teams to ensure that structural design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems selected
- Managing and supervising structural support services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments
- Managing and supervising structural support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Department Director, Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management.
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, the authorities having jurisdiction (AHJ’s), and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to structural staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of structural staff
- Assisting Department Director and Department Head in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Department Head (DH) when the DH is unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Head on staff annual performance reviews
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation of gravity and lateral-load resisting systems
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant structural drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by structural engineers and structural EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions and input data, output results, and boundary conditions for analytical models
- Reviewing all drawings produced by structural technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the structural portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, structural-only projects
- Assist MP and PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Review and approve discipline code analysis
- Review and approve discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI’s, Dr Check comments, etc.
- Lead discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Back-check discipline QC/Gray Team comments
- Monitor and adhere to project budget and schedule
For Engineers assigned to our Waterfront division, Essential Abilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work may involve times outside normal working hours and on weekends
- Work outdoors over water and all types of weather
- Stand, walk, and climb for 8+ hours a day
- Be able to lift 50-60 lbs and operate inspection equipment
- Be able to work at heights, over water, in confined spaces, and from watercraft