| The Research Chemist will have/learn a working knowledge of polymer emulsions, reactive extrusion and polymer characterization. They will be responsible for managing our OOAM program around maleated polypropylene and polyamide raw materials and emulsions. Daily activities will include producing and characterizing raw materials and emulsions with techniques such as titration, DSC, FT-IR, GPC and rheology. They will develop a strong understanding of how inherent polymer characteristics and emulsion processes relate to final product properties, quality and processability. They will utilize this knowledge to collaborate with the raw material suppliers to develop new polymers with enhanced performance and/or operational efficiency. Strong project and time management skills are a necessity to consolidate information obtained from other chemists, outside labs and suppliers to meet project timelines. |
This dynamic role will help drive innovation throughout the composites industry by utilizing their materials and interfacial chemistry knowledge to develop new solutions to address an array of industry challenges. The right individual will embrace their role as helping to design, develop, and deploy novel water-based chemistries / emulsions, as well as new approaches and methodologies, to help solve the most complex of problems related to fiber reinforcement of composites, thermoplastic / thermoset composite performance, fiber / polymer interfacial adhesion, and fiber processing, wetting and matrix orientation. They will use their sound understanding of chemical analysis, instrumentation, polymer characterization, and surface chemistry characterization to orchestrate novel solutions for the Aerospace, Automotive, Electronics, and Industrial markets. They will have an innate curiosity to understand new composites processing techniques, such as pre-pregs, RHCM (rapid heating and cooling molding), RIM (reaction injection molding), and other emerging processes. And they will enjoy achieving these goals in a collaborative and fast-paced research environment, with goals and objectives that are aligned with the strategic business plan and Group Industries First Initiatives. Primary Responsibilities
• Live and Promote the Michelman Values
• Research and Development – Independently conduct R&D of water-based polymer dispersions / emulsions having major business impact, and commercialize them for the IM Group. Source and evaluate new raw materials for designing product performance improvements. Develop new and novel products via independent bench work efforts. Interact with plant and Health Environmental and Regulatory Affairs (HE&RA) staff on new product scale-up. Evaluate and test newly developed products at customer's site. Utilize Open Innovation through internal / external resources, organizations, and via collaboration.
• Customer Relationships – Develop and maintain internal and external relationships with suppliers, customers, and industry organizations to share knowledge, promote technical leadership, process understanding and materials performance. Provide technical support to our external customers and stakeholders, as well as to internal production, marketing, and sales associates.
• Support – Develop and maintain intimate knowledge and understanding of product and project histories to participate and lead technical and business discussions. Support other chemists and customers to solve their related research problems. Participate in business planning activities. Train new associates and customers in applicable technology areas.
• Regulatory / Compliance – Actively participate in lab safety programs. Work with HE&RA team to learn, understand and properly follow policies and procedures that ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. Be able to communicate regulatory requirements to internal and external customers and stakeholders. Be knowledgeable of regulatory requirements (FDA, TSCA, International inventories, REACH) to support commercial activities and in how they influence product development activities.
• Manufacturing & Quality Control – Work with and assist supply chain to develop and specify manufacturing and quality control procedures for new products. Supervise and implement the First Manufactured Batch process / scale-up trial runs.
• Financial Objectives – Participate in implementing company-wide and departmental plans to achieve the year-to-year and long-term objectives of the organization, focused on EBITDA growth and EBITDA / assets optimization, ROI, and other metrics. Recommend steps to improve the Group and departmental impact on EBITDA and other financials.
• Other: Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates