Staff officers of research assist members of the faculty or professional officers of research in the conduct of research or a clinical program. They carry out assigned duties in the design of apparatus, the adaptation of relevant technology to the needs of a project, the conduct of specific experiments, and the analysis of data. They may also be responsible for collecting data and providing services to its clients. Staff officers of research work under limited supervision on complex assignments that require them to exercise a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
The Staff Associate of the Carleton Laboratory of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics performs in the capacity of Associate Manager and reports directly to the Senior Staff Associate (Manager). The incumbent will perform daily administrative duties, reconcile project invoices, develop and maintain Laboratory website, develop and enforce safety and training compliance for all laboratory users, maintain regulatory compliance pursuant to OSHA, FDNY, EH&S and EPA, performs all laboratory purchasing and maintain laboratory project budgets, develops and maintains vendor relationships in compliance with University Purchasing policies.
The incumbent will assist the Senior Staff Associate in conducting research and testing of all types of structures, materials, and structural elements, prepares laboratory reports, supports faculty and student research, maintains and updates laboratory equipment and instrumentation, provides community and University outreach through outreach programs, tours, and orientations, mentor, train, supervise undergraduate, M.S. and Ph.D. students performing work in the laboratory.
Serve as acting Manager in the absence of Manager and other duties as assigned.
The Carleton Laboratory of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics is seeking a Staff Associate in the capacity of Associate Manager of the Carleton Laboratory. The applicant must be a qualified engineer in either the fields of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Material Science, or a related field.
The duties and responsibilities of this position are:
- Perform daily administrative duties of the Laboratory in concert with Manager:
- Submit and reconcile project invoices.
- Develop and maintain Carleton Laboratory website.
- Develop and enforce safety and training compliance for all laboratory users
- Laboratory access database
- Formal training programs for each piece of laboratory equipment
- Maintain regulatory compliance pursuant OSHA, FDNY, EH&S, and EPA
- Perform all laboratory purchasing and maintain laboratory project budgets. Maintain positive vendor relationships to support just-in-time procurement strategy.
- Maintain certification, calibration, and general maintenance schedule for testing and fabrication equipment.
- Assist Manager in following duties:
- Conduct research and testing of all types of structures, materials, and structural elements.
- Prepare laboratory reports.
- Support faculty and student research.
- Maintain and update laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Provide community and University outreach through outreach programs, tours, orientations, etc.
- Mentor, train, supervise undergraduate, M.S. , and Ph.D. students performing work in laboratory in concert with Associate Manager and Associate Research Scientist
- Serve as acting Manager in the absence of Manager